Monday, May 7, 2012

05.07.2012 daily life

Woke to the sound of majestic rolling thunder and bright bolts of lightning flashing through the dark skies this morning. The sound of heavy rain pounding the concrete sidewalk was a welcoming sound. It doesn’t matter how many times I water my flowers or the garden area it just never gets the nutrients like it does from the rain. The day stayed pretty cloudy with the sun making an appearance every once in awhile. It wasn’t a day for hanging laundry on the line so I took a trip to the library where I loaded up on plenty of gardening books.

DSC_2620

While I was get my library books scanned one of the librarians made the comment that I would never get any gardening done if I sat and read all of these books. I let her know that I was one of those people who skimmed the book taking the information that I felt I needed. There is such a wealth of gardening information out there and I have a feeling that no matter how much I read that I will learn more from just doing.

Around here we seem to eat the same vegetables day after day so I finally decided to try something new and thankfully it was a hit with almost the entire crew. The children are sensitive to spicy foods so they picked out the cayenne pepper taste right away. :) It was a super easy recipe and I like easy on busy days.

cast iron black eye peas

Cast Iron Skillet Black Eyed Peas
4-5 tbsp bacon grease
2 cloves of garlic finely minced
3 tbsp minced onion
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
2 cans black eyed peas

Heat bacon grease in skillet and add garlic and onion.
Allow to cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Drain black eyed peas and add to skillet.
Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Enjoy!

Have a blessed day!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!